Sunday, April 27, 2014

Mixed Berry Caramel Sundae!

Mmmmmmmmm!  Decadent!


Sundae Jars: Chocolate-Coconut + Mixed Berry Caramel

Ice-Cream-Sundae-Jars-1
At this point, y’all are like ‘oh my lands, another mason jar dessert?!’  I know, I know.
But but but, mason jars make it so easy to portion for two!  Unless… you want to purchase stock in Sur La Table and buy many little pans to make my desserts.  No? Just me?  And my Mom?  Ok, got it.  I had a hunch.
I make these ice cream sundae jars and stash them in the freezer for a quick snack.
Ice-Cream-Sundae-Jars-2
It can be a bit tedious to make an ice cream sundae each time you have a craving.  First, you have to scoop rock-hard ice cream.  If you wait for the ice cream to soften first, there’s a slight chance you’ll die of ice cream-nemia.  Then, you must drizzle the sauce in between scoops.  Don’t forget about the crunchy nuts that must be layered in a perfect ratio that is unique to each human, much like a fingerprint. <— scientific fact
So, I make these mason jar sundaes sealed with a lid, and store them in my freezer for dessert.  Or, you can take two bites every hour all day long.  I’ve never nibbled on ice cream all day.  Never ever.  Especially not ice cream with toasted coconut chips this size:
Ice-Cream-Sundae-Jars-3
Speaking of these large coconut chips, I made Mr. Dessert for Two drive me to a store on the other side of the city just to buy them.  So, if you could, please tell me how adorable they are and how this dessert would be incomplete without them?  Help me justify my food purchases to my husband, please.  He doesn’t get it.  You do.  I know you do.
Ice-Cream-Sundae-Jars-4
Hey, St. Louisans:  You were SO RIGHT about Ted Drewes.  So so SO right.  It’s like ‘what was I eating before?  Ice cream?  Aww, how cute, it’s trying to taste like Ted Drewes frozen custard.’  Just like that.  Sorry for all the quotes.

Ice Cream Sundae Jars: Chocolate-Coconut + Mixed Berry Caramel
 
Prep time
Cook time
Total time
 
serves 2
Serves: 2
Ingredients
  • 1 10-ounce bag frozen mixed berries
  • 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons heavy cream (or, use butter for a thinner sauce)
  • 1 pint store-bought chocolate ice cream
  • ¼ cup sweet coconut shreds, toasted
Instructions
  1. In a saucepan, combine the frozen mixed berries, sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer and cook until the berries collapse, about 4 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in heavy cream
  2. Next, puree the berries either with an immersion blender or in a regular blender. Be careful, the liquid is hot. Once pureed, strain the mixture if desired.
  3. To assemble: place 1 scoop of chocolate ice cream in the bottom of a pint mason jar. Drizzle over the berry caramel sauce, and top with toasted coconut. Repeat until the jars are full.
  4. Screw on the lid and store in the freezer up to 2 weeks. Let the jar sit on the counter for a few minutes before eating to soften the berry caramel sauce.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment