Sunday, April 27, 2014

Really?  They just keep getting better!  This is from Hymns and Verses!

Peach Crisp in a Mason Jar

Monday, September 2, 2013



It's peach season here in the northeast!  On a recent trip to the local farm market even the air smelled like peaches!   I love fresh peaches and my favorite dessert to make in peach season is peach crisp.   There's nothing like warm peach crisp topped with vanilla ice cream - yum!  


I know you've all seen the different desserts that have been made in mason jars all over Pinterest.   I decided it was time that I give this baking trend a try.  So here's my recipe for peach crisp baked in individual mason jars.

Peach Crisp

8 wide mouth pint size Ball jars

10 fresh peaches

Crisp Topping

1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 cup oatmeal
2/3 cup butter

Ground Cinnamon




I used the Ball Elite Platinum wide mouth jars.  I found them at Kmart.  They come in a set of four for about $5.50.  I mostly like these because they have the wide mouth and are perfect for an individual serving.


Peal the peaches and cut into bite sized pieces.  Divide the peaches equally among the 8 pint sized jars.  



Next you want to make the crunch topping.  You can mix all of the  topping ingredients using your food processor or by hand using a fork to work the butter through the dry ingredients.  


Again, divide the topping equally among the 8 jars.   The topping will go almost to the very top of the jar.  Sprinkle with a little ground cinnamon.  Put your filled jars on a rimmed cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes (until the topping starts to brown).  


As the peaches bake, the volume decreases and that leaves room on top for your vanilla ice cream!    These individual peach crisps were sooo good - especially served warm with the ice cream!  

I have to say, I think this baking trend is here to stay - the jars are both cute and practical because they are reusable.   And, they are a  perfect individual portion size!  I hope you will give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment